Rhinoplasty or nose plastic surgery is commonly known as the nose job and is one of the most favourite cosmetic surgeries preferred by both Hollywood and Bollywood celebs. Rhinoplasty surgery is a nose reshaping procedure which involves reconstruction of the nose in order to enhance the aesthetic appearance of the entire face, correcting any deformity or bringing it in proportion with the rest of the face. In case of this procedure, the plastic surgeon corrects the shape of the nose by separating the nasal skin and soft tissues from the nasal framework and correcting it. Usually, a split is placed on the nose in order to provide support to the new shape of the nose while it heals. Surgeons who perform Rhinoplasty surgery are trained in plastic surgery and otolaryngology (ear, nose, and throat specialty). Rhinoplasty is usually done with the support of local anaesthetics and is an outpatient procedure. But in certain cases, it might require a 1-night stay at the surgery center.
Why is Rhinoplasty Done?
Rhinoplasty procedure can enhance facial harmony and bring the nose to the right proportion. It is also done to correct structural defects of the nose and impaired breathing.
- Rhinoplasty can change nose size in accordance with facial balance
- It can change width of the bridge or the size and position of the nostrils
- It can change nose profile and correct visible humps or depression on the nose bridge
- It can change the shape of the tip of the nose that may be drooping, bulbous, hooked or upturned
- It can change the shape of the nostrils that are wide, large or upturned
- It can correct nasal asymmetry
How Well Rhinoplasty Works?
The final results of Rhinoplasty surgery procedure are successful although the change may be minor or significant depending on the kind of correction the candidate wants. The candidate should always have realistic expectations, and he or she should discuss it with the plastic surgeon so that he can agree on the goals of the surgery. Although, the results of plastic surgery for nose are permanent, it is best to stay away from serious blows or injuries to the nose because it can alter the appearance of the nose. Rhinoplasty should be done only on a fully developed nose and should not be done before the age of 18.
What to Expect After a Plastic Nose Surgery?
These are some of the common occurrences that one might experience after undergoing a nose job.
- The face and areas around the eyes and nose will be puffy, bruised and swollen for some days
- It will take roughly 2 weeks for the swelling and bruising to improve
- One might experience a dull headache for a short time after the surgery
- If there is no infection, then the chances of severe pain are very low
- Due to the internal swelling in the nose, the candidate might experience some congestion till the swelling subsides
- The congestion might interfere with sleep for the first few nights post-surgery
- Patients who suffer from major breathing problems can experience noticeable improvement right after the surgery.
- It is best not to blow the nose till the doctor allows it
Steps of Rhinoplasty Surgery Recovery
It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to recover completely from the Rhinoplasty surgery. Here are the common steps of recovery from a nose job.
- The splint and bandage around the nose are removed after 1 week of the surgery
- Applying cold compress can help in reducing the pain and swelling
- The doctor might prescribe pain medicines for the first 2 days post-surgery and then change over to non-narcotic pain medication
- It is best to keep the head raised and relatively still during the first few days after the surgery
- It is best to avoid dry environment and nasal irritants for the first few weeks after the surgery
- The doctor might suggest the patient to apply a saline spray or an ointment in the nose numerous times a day to keep it moist and prevent dryness and crusting
- The doctor might recommend some ointments or herbal medication for the bruising
- The candidate will be able to get back to work after a gap of 1 or 2 weeks
- The candidate can wash his or her face and put little makeup or foundation after one week of the surgery
- The nose might feel a bit numb after the surgery, and it might take a few months to get back feeling in the nose completely
Rhinoplasty is undoubtedly one of the safest cosmetic surgery procedures and thousands of people opt for it every year. Rest assured that the path of recovery after a Rhinoplasty surgery is very much bearable if you know what to expect after the procedure. Consult with your plastic surgeon to clear your doubts and go ahead with the change you have decided to bring forth for a better you.
Image Sources: blog.daum.net, hivehealthmedia.com