Liposuction Surgery is a cosmetic surgery that removes unwanted excess fat to improve the appearance of the body and by fixing any fat irregularities. It is also called body contouring. If you are not too happy with your looks or think a bit of nip and tuck can change the way you look and also give a boost to your confidence, then liposuction is the way to go.
What Can you Fix with the Help of Liposuction?
Liposuction surgery is useful for contouring under the cheeks, upper arms, breast, abdomen, buttocks, hips, thighs, knees and ankle areas. Sometimes liposuction is used along with plastic surgery procedures like facelifts, breast reductions, and tummy tucks.
The procedure of Liposuction
Contrary to popular belief, the fat cells are removed, not resized. This is a very effective procedure when unsightly bulges are to be removed from any area of your choice. Bulging areas of fat which do not respond to dietary regime or exercise can be removed with the help of liposuction. It is specifically useful to remove fat from the inner and outer thighs, hips, buttocks, abdomen, and knees. Liposuction can be utilized to reduce heavy breasts in women. Liposuction surgeons in Hyderabad are very adept in performing these kinds of surgeries. People who are really overweight can resort to liposuction as they will be able to protect themselves from the various problems that come with too much of fat.
The Various Techniques of Liposuction
In the recent years, various new techniques have been employed to make liposuction an effective and safe surgery. The new techniques which are employed are the following-
- Tumescent Liposuction- It is one of the most popular forms of cosmetic surgery. The tumescent or super-wet technique requires an infusion of adrenaline and possibly anesthetic prior to removal of excess fat. Then small hollow tubes like a metal straw are then inserted into the fat layer of the skin. This is moved around the body to break up the fat, which is then sucked out of the body. The length of the incision is usually one centimeter, and is usually made in the area which is not visible, like for the abdomen liposuction it is in the belly button region.
- Laser Liposuction- It is a technology in which liquid laser beams are utilized, which liquefies the fat, which is then sucked out of the area. It is usually performed by skillful surgeons like liposuction surgeons in Hyderabad.
- Ultrasound Liposuction- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction uses a cannula which vibrates very loudly and gives out ultrasound energy. As the cannula is passed through the fat cells, the energy produced liquefies the fat cells; which are consequently suctioned out. The ultrasound then is applied either above the skin, with the help of a special emitter, or just below the surface of the skin, with the help of an ultrasound cannula.
Liposuction is usually done as an outpatient procedure in a well-equipped doctor’s office with proper surgery facilities, or hospital. In general, it does not require an overnight hospital stay unless a very large amount of fat is eliminated. Local anesthesia is used in some cases. Sedatives are administered as per requirement. If a large area or volume of fat is being removed, general anesthesia or deep sedation may be employed, with a local anesthetic.
Other Benefits of Liposuction
Liposuction may also be used to treat certain medical conditions, which include.
- Benign fatty tumors or lipomas.
- Abnormal enlargement of the male breasts known as gynecomastia or pseudo gynecomastia.
- Lipodystrophy or problems of the metabolism of fat in the body.
- Abnormal sweating in the armpit area or axillary hyperhidrosis.
Liposuction is not used to treat obesity or its related problems like stretch marks or cellulite.
Does it Work Well?
Liposuction is usually very effective at removing fat deposits from small areas, but it has to be ensured that you don’t gain weight after a liposuction. Those unsightly bulges which you tried so hard to get rid of, will come back for sure. You may notice some improvement in body contour immediately after the surgery. The improvement then continues for several weeks or months as the swelling gradually ebbs away. The full effects of liposuction usually take time to show, it may run up to several months before you notice any visible effects.
Liposuction (except for laser liposuction) does not help tighten the skin. After the removal of the fat, the skin usually hangs loose, the elasticity and the tautness vanishes. It takes up to 6 months for the skin to tighten around the area, where the fat has been removed. Some people’s skin, unlike some others is very elastic and retracts quickly for the smooth look like before. Older skin does take time to regain the elasticity, unlike younger skin.
Liposuction usually isn’t a replacement for good eating habits or exercise. Liposuction does help to get rid of stubborn fat and in the process can enhance self-image.