Many men about – 40 to 60 per cent in fact – suffer from what are commonly known as “man boobs” or “moobs” (Gynecomastia) and if you are one of those men, thankfully you no longer have to live with this excess fatty tissue that can be embarrassing. Male chest reduction or gynecomastia surgery uses similar techniques to those used during liposuction or fat removal surgery, and the operation is quick and simple with a short recovery time. Male chest reduction surgery is becoming increasingly popular among men as more and more learn about the procedure and the positive impact it can have on self confidence.
“To me my chest looked huge – very similar to a female breast. If I wore a tight T-shirt, they’d poke out like women’s breasts, this caused a lot of embarrassment and teasing in college. My family doctor told me it was down to excess skin tissue which is why exercise didn’t work. Since having my surgery having a flat chest like everyone else has massively boosted my confidence and morale.” Vishwanath, 20
BENEFITS OF GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY
- Increased self-confidence.
- Increased self-esteem.
- The appearance of the chest is flatter, firmer and better contoured.
- Ability to have wider choice of clothes.
- Feel more in proportion and less self conscious.
- Gynecomastia is a medical term that comes from the Greek words for ‘woman like breasts’ which is due to the abnormal increase in glandular tissue.
FACTS ABOUT MALE CHEST REDUCTION
- 40 to 60 percent of men suffer from “Man Boobs”.
- Gynecomastia treatment is the second fastest growing procedure for men
- Male breast reduction surgery normally takes 1- 2 hours to complete.
- Go swimming or to the gym with more confidence.
THE PROCEDURE FOR GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY
- The Surgeon will remove excess fat by making a small incision around the lower half of the nipple area and carry out liposuction.
- It is a day case, the gynecomastia surgery procedure is done under General anesthesia
- The procedure normally takes 1- 2 hours to complete.
GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY COST
There is no set price for gynecomastia surgery as every single patient is different and treated on an entirely individual, case-by-case basis. Book an appointment with our surgeon who will tell you what kind of surgery you will require. The price you are given will include everything from the procedure itself, to the cost of your overnight stay and aftercare appointments – there are no hidden costs.
IS CHEST REDUCTION SURGERY RIGHT FOR ME?
There are many reasons why people choose to go for gynecomastia surgery. Some of them are:
- Stubborn areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise
- A disproportionate figure for instance woman-like breasts, giving rise to a lack of self-confidence and embarrassment.
- Not able to go topless on summer holidays because of feeling self conscious
- Rapid weight loss can cause sagging of the skin across the chest making the breasts look more pronounced
- Difficulty in buying clothes due to disproportion Unwelcome comments from friends or work colleagues
MALE BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY – THE PROCEDURE
- You may be advised to lose some weight prior to your gynecomastia surgery for better results.
- You will be able to discuss your expectations.
- Your Surgeon will advise you when you are to discontinue and/or resume activities like smoking, or taking aspirin or any other medication
The day of your male chest reduction surgery
- The Cosmetic Surgeon will visit you in your room and draw marks around the areas to be treated.
- He will also obtain your final consent, and answer any last minute questions you may have.
- When you wake up from your anesthesia, you will have a support garment applied.
- Some blood-stained fluid will seep from the wound and the nurses will need to change your dressings until it stops.
- You will be offered painkillers and will be given antibiotics.
Going home after male chest reduction surgery
- Your Surgeon will advise how long to stay off work – usually between one and two weeks.
- You will need to rest for 48 hours and avoid bending and heavy lifting.
- You can expect to experience some bruising and swelling, but this should subside after one to two weeks.
- You will be asked not to remove your support garment until your first post-operative visit to the clinic – general hygiene can be maintained through strip washes rather than baths and showers, ensuring that the operated area remains dry and covered.
- It is very important that you attend the follow up post surgery appointment which has been made for you, to care for your wound and see your Cosmetic Surgeon post-operatively to make sure that you are healing well.
Recovery from male chest reduction surgery
- Stitches are usually dissolvable and do not need to be removed.
- The area heals quickly with scars fading well.
- An elastic garment will need to be worn for a week.
You can generally expect to return to work within a few days.